- PA Walk Works Grant. Grants will be offered to a limited number of municipalities and other governmental bodies to assist with the development of Active Transportation Plans, Complete Streets Policies, and/or Vision Zero Policies. Applications are due May 13, 2022, by 5:00 PM EST. Contact Samantha Pearson at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Active Allegheny Grant Program. Applications are due by 4:00 PM EST on May 27, 2022. This program provides financial assistance to municipalities, non-profit organizations, and councils of governments to develop community plans and design transportation projects that will, when implemented, provide bicycle and pedestrian connections to important local destinations and transportation systems and increase residents’ opportunities for physical activity.
Greenways, Trails, and Recreation Program. The submission deadline is May 31, 2022. Funding for planning, acquisition, development, rehabilitation, and repair of greenways, recreational trails, open spaces, parks, and beautification projects using the Greenways, Trails and Recreation Program (GTRP). Municipalities and councils of governments are eligible.
Trail Development Fund Grant Program. EXTENDED DEADLINE - The application deadline is 12:00 pm EST on June 15, 2022. The Redevelopment Authority of Allegheny County (RAAC) has created the Trail Development Fund for shovel-ready trail development projects, associated land acquisition, and/or engineering and design of trails taking place in Allegheny County.
Multimodal Transportation Fund. Applications are due by close of business on July 31, 2022. Funds may be used for the development, rehabilitation, and enhancement of transportation assets to existing communities, streetscape, lighting, sidewalk enhancement, pedestrian safety, connectivity of transportation assets, and transit-oriented development. Municipalities and councils of governments are eligible.
Past Funding Opportunities
- AARP Livable Communities Challenge Grants. The application submission deadline is March 22, 2022, by 5:00 PM EST.
- Port of Pittsburgh Commission Small Grants Program. Final Applications must be received by Friday, March 18, 2022, at 5:00 PM EST.
- Local Share Account (Statewide) Program. Applications will be received until March 15, 2022. Eligible projects include projects in the public interest and projects that improve the quality of life of citizens in the community. Eligible projects must be owned and maintained by an eligible applicant or a nonprofit organization.
- Fiscal Year 2021 Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) Program. Application submission deadline is December 17, 2021, at 5:00 PM EST.
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection Environmental Education Grants. Application submission deadline is December 10, 2021, at 11:59 PM EST.
- PennDOT Accepting Applications For 2022-23 Improvements Under Multimodal Transportation Fund. Projects that will be considered should coordinate local land use with transportation assets to enhance existing communities; improve streetscape, lighting, sidewalk facilities, and pedestrian safety; improve connectivity or utilization of existing transportation assets; or advance transit-oriented-development. Apply by November 5.
Transportation Alternatives Set-Aside Program. The Transportation Alternatives Set-Aside (TA) Program provides funding for programs and projects defined as transportation alternatives, including on- and off-road pedestrian and bicycle facilities; infrastructure projects for improving non-driver access to public transportation and enhanced mobility; environmental mitigation; recreational trail program projects; and, safe routes to school projects. Short pre-application due August 16, 2021. Full application due October 15, 2021.
- 2021 Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program (CMAQ). The CMAQ Program provides funds for transportation projects and programs that will contribute to attainment or maintenance of the national ambient air quality standards (NAAQS) for ozone, carbon monoxide (CO), and particulate matter (PM). Apply by September 24.
- RKM: Healthy People and Communities. The Richard King Mellon Foundation invites nonprofit, public and private sector organizations to submit bold and novel ideas to the Healthy People & Communities RFI. The Foundation expects between $50,000-$250,000 will be available per idea. However, if an idea is truly exceptional, the Foundation may consider providing more than $250,000. First round due February 26, 2021. Final Round due July 16, 2021.
Allegheny County Accepting Applications for CDBG Coronavirus Funding. Apply by June 1, 2021.
PA Department of Health, WalkWorks Program. Funding Opportunity Announcement for the Development of Active Transportation Plans and Policies to Establish Activity-Friendly Routes that Connect to Everyday Destinations. Apply by May 14, 2021.