Tuesday, October 20, 10:00am-4:00pm
CONNECT is partnering with the ULI to bring a high value program to CONNECT members, partners, and GSPIA students for free!
The Urban Land Institute’s (ULI) UrbanPlan workshop convenes regional elected and appointed officials, planners, advocacy groups, residents, business owners, and students for an interactive dialogue about the fundamental forces that affect the built environment and the important leadership role that you play in that process.
UrbanPlan is a day-long game and competition in which teams of 5 compete to create the best plan for developing the fictional city of Elmwood.
By participating in UrbanPlan, you will strengthen your knowledge in the following areas:
- The basics of a proforma (financial model) and funding a complex project;
- The economics of different building types and community benefits;
- The different time horizons for the public and private sectors and how they may work in tandem;
- The risk associated with lengthy negotiations between all parties; and
- The importance of a clear and open process in the selection of a private partner.
This is a fantastic opportunity for practioners and students to learn alongside each other!
CONNECT staff have played in the past, several CONNECTers have played the 2.5 hour "lighting round," and we all highly recommend to everyone interested. You do not have to be an expert to join in on the fun.
To register, you must be able to commit to actively participating the entire time. Register here
Here is a sharable flyer.
One team presenting their proposed plan to Elmwood City Council.